articulate aristocrats

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I'll carry a compass to find a nice girl with EU citizenship.

So the past few days have been amazing/weird/stressful with an extra dose of amazing.

Basically, Im in self-destruct mode. I didnt go to work today. I needed to be alone so that I could not wear pants and build a nest in my bed where I could shake and be sick and get all of the negativity out of me. That is all I will say about that.

Thursday night I ventured(alone) to the Scala to see one of my current top five favorite bands, Two Gallants, play a headlining show. This was weird for many reasons. The last time I saw them, was at a free show at a tiny record store in pomona. There was like 45 in the audience, just standing around them as they played, and it was so quiet between songs that it was awkward. This show, they had sold out, in a rather large venue, and people were singing along and going nutty. I learned that they have a sort of cult following here...strange. The opening band was the Cold War Kids...who are from my hood! That was exciting. The brits were critisizing their thick american accents. I met alot of cool people, and it was declared that I made the bar a very friendly place. SO not the same experience as when I go to shows in Hollywood alone.

That ended around midnight...I woke up at 3amish to get on the bus to BERLIN!

Its funny. The first places I went to abroad were london and paris. I was convinced that they were the coolest places ever. Now that I have a bit more under the belt...paris just gets to be lamer and lamer. Berlin is way near the top, and London is something else.

My first impression of Berlin was that it was like Tomorrowland at Disneyland. Like, this was someone's idea of what the future was suppose to be...and then the future actually happend.

That was only a small area though. Eighties architecture...etc.

Then there was REAL crazy super modern architecture, like the Sony Center and the new trainstation whose name escapes me. Basically, a huge, intimidating mall, and every few minutes a train rolls through. A trip.

It was way cold, like 40F, but we dressed appropriately and were ok for the most part. I had bought some imitarion converse hightops at primark the week before for FOUR POUNDS, and thank god I did...I really needed closed toe shoes. Its still weird to wear shoes with laces...I might be really lazy.

Im stuck in a rough place because I really, really dont want to return to the OC. I will, at least for spring, but come summer I hope to no longer exists amongst the stucco and strip malls.

So yeah, I'm currently taking applications from major cities across the U.S. with universities with semi-decent, semi-affordable film programs. Trust me on this one, YOU want ME in your city. Suggestions? East coast is not excluded.

Did I mention I think I hate sociology? I hear thats what happens around this time...everyone hates their major.

Back to BERLIN!

The last day Abbey and I parted ways because she wanted to go shopping and I wanted to go to the Guggenheim. Crazy modern art...big piles of concrete and vaseline scattered around a room. Weird. Weirder when you realize they were made as the artist harnessed himself, naked, from the ceiling and sculpted with his feet.

Throughout the trip I was thoroughly impressed with Berlin's street art. I found a coffee table book in the museum store of photography of some of the better pieces. The photographer mentioned that most of them were taken in the area around our hostel. So I decided that I would make my whole day an art appreciation day and wandered off to find me some art.

I seriously just searched walls, and my path ended up being pretty kamikaze as I would just turn down alleys and little side streets whenever I had a good feeling about what I would find. Overall, I saw tons of really, really good stuff. I was taking pictures until my camera died on me...and then of course EVERYTHING I saw after was vastly superior to the pieces I'd seen before.

I decided that I would start a niche walking tour company. I'm going to find the better pieces in the area, research the artists, and make a more sensible path in discovering them. I would also carry my stencil and a can with me and periodically allow my guests to add my mark wherever they saw fit. Whenever they came back to Berlin, they would have something to go to.

SO yeah. Thats it. I will now go back into hibernation and my little den made of crapy FIE supplied sheets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home